Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -MacroWatch
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:11:16
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- AP PHOTOS: The world watches as US election results trickle in
- It might be a long night: Here are some stories to read as we wait for election results
- Mother charged after reportedly giving missing child to man during drug exchange
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- ROYCOIN Trading Center: Embracing Challenges as a New Era for Cryptocurrency Approaches
- Watch this young batter react to a surprise new pitcher
- In this Florida school district, some parents are pushing back against a cell phone ban
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- DZ Alliance Powers AI FinFlare’s Innovation with DZA Token
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Bitcoin spikes to record as traders expect Trump’s victory to boost cryptocurrencies
- Atlantic City mayor is charged with asking daughter to say he did not injure her
- Donald Trump has sweeping plans for a second administration. Here’s what he’s proposed
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Trump likely to target climate measures that are making the most difference
- Tyka Nelson, sister of late music icon Prince, dies at 64: Reports
- West Virginia voter, ACLU file lawsuit after Democrat state senate candidate left off ballot
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Election Day 2024: Selena Gomez, Reese Witherspoon, more stars urge voters to 'use our voices'
Sherrone Moore's first year is starting to resemble Jim Harbaugh's worst
NFL trade deadline winners, losers: Cowboys confuse as contenders take flight
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Elon Musk, Cardi B and More Stars React to Donald Trump, Kamala Harris Election Results
Why AP called Florida for Trump
Jennifer Lopez Details Holiday Plans Amid Divorce From Ben Affleck